ADSM-L

Re: Etherchannel and EBU backups.

2001-09-24 10:37:00
Subject: Re: Etherchannel and EBU backups.
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:34:17 -5
On 24 Sep 2001, at 15:46, Zlatko Krastev/ACIT wrote:
> Eric,
>
> if you set-up an EtherChannel on both sides (!) it is like connecting
> through 400 Mb/s interface (virtual one which distributes load on real ones
> - ent0, ent1, ...). This is done at interface (OSI Level 2) and has to be
> transparent to your sessions.

Does not a etherchannel present one IP number and mac address to the
network?  If so, then I don't see how this could work.  what leg a
packet takes on an Etherchannel is determined by an xor on the low
order bits of the source and destination mac addresses.  Between 2
computers on the same switch these addresses will always be the same
and therefore always use the same etherchannel legs.  It will not
round-robin your packets between the legs.