ADSM-L

Re: broken tape

2001-08-09 10:57:53
Subject: Re: broken tape
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 07:58:06 -0700
>Geoff - The question is, "How broken?"  With a 3590, it's usually the
>        tape being snapped within a few inches of the leader block.

Richard,

As I've been taking a look at the whole situation I find it is very
confusing. The tape case has a small corner, right at where the blue plastic
leader attached to the end of the tape, pulled out so it will not pop back
in and stay there. I have tried to bend the plastic back but it is very
loose and I don't trust it now.

Now the stranger part is that I did an audit library and a completely
different tape shows as having been removed from the library at the time
this happened. mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qI shows this on the 2 tapes in
question. U00370 is the broken one that I took out.

U00370 0066 00 10 00
U00796 0064 88 10 00

The log does not show U00390 as having been mounted during that time but it
does show this for the other tape. U00390 was mounted in rmt0 when the
failure occurred. How weird is this.

08/08/01 14:27:21     ANR8469E Dismount of 3590 volume U00796 from drive
RMT0
                       (/dev/rmt0) in library 3494LIB failed.

08/08/01 14:27:23     ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume U00796 -
mount
                       failed.

I audited the library last night and this showed up, yet U00796 is in the
library and a re-inventory at the console proves it. U00390 was really out
yet it did not show on the list.
08/08/01 21:28:35     ANR8455E Volume U00796 could not be located during
audit
                       of library 3494LIB.  Volume has been removed from the

                       library inventory.

I re-inventoried the library from the console and the status of U00796 is
back to normal; U00796 0064 00 10 00. U00390 is now off of the list. IBM is
sending some logs out to support to find out exactly what happened. My guess
is that because the way the front of this tape is bent it must have been in
the gripper when it hit something on it's way to the drive, thus it could
not be mounted properly. I was also told a tape fell in the library over the
weekend so I wonder if it was this one...... It may have been damaged then
and the operator didn't look at it.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer