ADSM-L

Re: broken tape

2001-08-09 07:35:43
Subject: Re: broken tape
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 07:35:58 -0400
>I'm going through my first experience with a broken tape and I'd like to
>know how to clean this up. Since the tape is broken it obviously can't be
>mounted to extract data. ...

Geoff - The question is, "How broken?"  With a 3590, it's usually the
        tape being snapped within a few inches of the leader block.
The 3590 Operator Guide shows the procedure for Leader Block
Replacement; but you can do it with basic office equipment.  Over
time, I've fixed two such tapes, by cutting back to good tape and
reattaching the leader block at that point.  It is of course easier
if you have the Leader Block Replacement Kit: get one through your
CE.

    Richard Sims, BU