ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL Server Setup

2001-04-18 13:20:15
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL Server Setup
From: Robert L King <bobking AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:20:49 -0400
Jack, TDP for SQL keeps a lot of meta data, such as various names, version
numbers, dates and times, sizes, etc. (TDP for SQL's meta data is separate
from SQL server's meta data.) All of this meta data is contained within the
TSM server database except for the names of the groups and files for a SQL
database. This set of names is too big to fit within the TSM server
database so it is retained as a TSM backup object, called the meta object.
The actual SQL database contents are retained in data objects.

For your questions:

1) The TDP for SQL meta objects are not the same as the SQL server
database, msdb, that keeps track of backups. TDP for SQL does not update or
query msdb although some of the backup information in msdb is contained in
TDP for SQL meta data. SQL server does make entries in msdb for each TDP
for SQL backup but TDP for SQL does not use them.

Because the TDP for SQL meta objects are just a set of names and don't
exist as a discrete entity on the SQL server, you can't lose them on that
side. However, they are required for queries and restores from the TSM
server.

Placing the meta objects in a disk-only copy group is recommended so that a
query that request information contained in the meta object (/fileinfo or
expanding backup objects in the GUI) will never cause a tape mount.

2) The TDP for SQL meta objects don't exist as objects on the SQL server
side, only on the TSM server side.

3) TDP for SQL backs up only SQL server databases, nothing else. To backup
anything else in a SQL server, including the Windows registry, use the TSM
backup/archive client. To schedule backups from the TSM server, use the
scheduler that is part of the TSM backup/archive client. The TSM
backup/archive client should exclude the SQL database files (*.mdf, *.ndf,
*.ldf).

Bob King    IBM Global Services
bobking AT us.ibm DOT com

jvant <jvant AT EMAIL.BOISESTATE DOT EDU>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 04/18/2001 11:23:25