ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL Server Setup

2001-04-19 12:53:50
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL Server Setup
From: Neil Schofield <Neil.Schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:51:19 +0100
Michel

Your right - in most cases only one scheduler would be sufficient.

One reason for having two schedulers is so that one can be performing a TDP
client for SQL backup at the same time as the other is performing a filesystem
backup. We use the TDP for SQL client to perform hourly transaction log backups
of important databases. Both the nightly filesystem schedule and the TDP backup
schedules have a 5 minute startup window.

Since each scheduler can only handle one schedule at once, a long running
incremental backup ( > 1 hour) would cause the transaction log backup to be
missed.

Another advantage of two schedulers is the ability to have separate scheduler
log files for the two sorts of activity. We use verbose logging of the
incremental backups which means other activity can become lost in the log.

Neil Schofield

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682