ADSM-L

Error in Backupset Expiration

2001-04-10 13:03:36
Subject: Error in Backupset Expiration
From: HK Chng <hkchng1 AT SINGNET.COM DOT SG>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:13:04 +0800
Hi all, does anyone know of a way to delete backupset entires from
the database besides the delete backupset command ?

We had a problem this morning when our TSM Database backup failed
reason being that all the scratch tapes were not released from the
expiration of backupsets which shared the same scratch pool. The
backupsets had retention period of 7 days, however, since 28th March,
the expiration process was somehow not working. When I issued a query
backupset set, I see 7 generations from 4/4 - 10/4. However, when I
queried the volumehistory, it showed backupset entries from 3/28 -
4/10. As there was only 7 generations from the backupset query
result, I had no idea how to reclaim the rest of the cartridges. I
tried to force a re-labeling by using the overwrite=yes option, but
TSM wouldn't let the process complete successfully. As a temporary
bypass, I have switch the database backup & backupset generation to
using the private pool tapes instead. My environment is AIX 4.3.3,
TSM 3.7.4.0, 3494 tape library.

Would appreciate if anyone has any other ways of deleting the
obsolete entries fromthe database directly.

Regards.
Chng
Storage Administrator.