ADSM-L

Re: Request for policy

2001-03-27 18:20:14
Subject: Re: Request for policy
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:20:36 +1000
Try this

Scheduled backups run every day and back up every file that has changed with
the exception of a specifically excluded set (e.g. temporary files). After this
backup, every included file that exists on disk will have a current copy on
TSM.  Additional full or partial backups can be run by users as required.
All superseded copies are kept for 8 days, and  when a file is deleted , its
last backup is also kept for 8 days.  A particular backup instance of a file
can reside on TSM controlled disk or tape, although most will be on tape after
a short period.  A second copy of all backups is created daily on tape and this
second copy is kept in the offsite vault as long as the primary copy is
maintained.

Steve

Steve Harris
AIX and ADSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Jim Taylor <jtaylor AT ENLOGIX DOT COM> 28/03/2001 3:18:32 >>>
Hi everyone

I have been tasked with writing up our backup policies for non AD or T SM
people to understand.

If you have something written that I can plagiarize or bend to my needs, it
would save me so much time, and I would be 'Oh So' grateful.

Presently I am doing daily incremental backups with my default management
class having the following settings,

Versions Data Exists =  no limit
Versions Data Deleted = no limit
Retain Extra Versions = 8
Retain Only Version =   8

I will be doing several other types of backups, archives, and creating of
backup sets.  However, putting the above into words that the bean counters
understand would be a great start.

Thanks in advance