ADSM-L

Re: SAN Solution

2001-03-13 16:33:52
Subject: Re: SAN Solution
From: James Thompson <mezron AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:34:19 -0700
I don't quite understand what you mean that the 3494 does not have
SAN capability.  You can most certainly use a 3494 in a SAN environment.
The SAN is where the data movement happens.  The 3494 'just' puts tapes into
the drives and manages the library inventory.  Only your drives need to be
on the SAN.  These can be 3590 drives with a fibre channel attachment, or
SCSI 3590 drives attached to a SAN data gateway.  All of your host machines
can attach to the 3494 via ethernet.
There is a redbook that describes setting up a SAN environment with
TSM.  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG246132.html
In there it describes a 3494 setup. Plus migration considerations for
going to a SAN environment.

James Thompson