ADSM-L

Re: individual file size > 2 GB

2000-12-20 19:41:54
Subject: Re: individual file size > 2 GB
From: Keith Davey <kdavey AT GUS33.HOMEIP DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:23:12 -0700
To the best of my knowlege TSM does not have a 2GB file size limit for
storing the file.  The problem comes in at the OS filesystemlevel.
Solaris UFS filesystems have this limitation, as did AIX 4.1.  4.2 could
be set up to support large file sizes in SMIT, and I beleve 4.3 supports
it nativly.  Linux also has this problem.

If the individual file exceeds the MAX file size that can be sent to a
storage pool, it is automaticly sent directly to its next storage pool
(usualy tape).  If a client is backing up directly to tape, and the end of
file mark is reached prior to the end of the agragate transfer, then that
agragate is expired, and a new tape is mounted.  AKA an Agragate can not
be split between two volumes.

Keith Davey
Tivoli Systems