ADSM-L

Re: Excluding Files on Restore

2000-12-20 20:23:18
Subject: Re: Excluding Files on Restore
From: Louis Wiesemann <ljwies01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:23:24 -0500
Thanks.  Yes, we thought of this, but the long file name that is the problem
was unable to be created on the NetWare server.  Our NetWare guy played with
this for awhile.  At this point we're not real sure how the file got backed up
but it is still causing us a problem.

At this time we are running a restore of the particular directory specifically
including the files we want restored and leaving out the bad file name.
Fortunately, a large number of files were restored there before it hit the
problem.  Then we hope to run an incremental backup against the directory to
force TSM  to mark the bad file as inactive.  Then we will rerun the general
restore which should not try  to restore the inactive file again.

For your information, Tivoli did not have any hits on this problem.  They liked
our idea for restore-backup-restore.  They suggested upgrading the NetWare
client as a next attempt and if that did not work to trace the problem for them
to diagnose further.

Thanks for the suggestions I have received on this problem.

>>> kdavey AT GUS33.HOMEIP DOT NET 12/20/00 17:43 PM >>>
I would have to look into that, but for now a quick workaround is to
create a file with the exact name of the file you do not want restored in
the directory where that file lives, and then have TSM clinet not
overwrite existing files.  Durring the prepar phase, this file will be
disqualifed for restore operations, and thus skiped.

Keith Davey