ADSM-L

Re: "AFSbackupmntpnt NO" in dsm.sys / dsm.opt

2000-12-15 10:52:58
Subject: Re: "AFSbackupmntpnt NO" in dsm.sys / dsm.opt
From: Alexander Verkooijen <alexander AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:38:23 +0100
Hi,

We're using 'DFSBACKUPMNTPNT NO'.
We never had any trouble with it.

Of course it would go wrong when a user decides to
create an endless loop or does his
own mounts somewhere, just like you said.
But what is the worst thing that could happen
when one of these thing occurs?
Sure, your backups would take forever, or
at least a very long time, but you'd probably
notice that something strange is going on before
you run out of storage or database space.
Then you can kill the backup and the user
who caused the problem.

Regards,

Alexander

On 15-Dec-00 Peter Dümpert wrote:

> Hi *SM'ers,
> 1. I'd like to know if anyone is using this option in the following
> format:
>       AFSbackupmntpnt NO
>
> or the DFS-pendant
>       DFSbackupmntpnt NO
>
> 2. anyone using this option in the above form could they report on positive
> or BAD experiences (e.g. having trouble by users doing own "fs mounts"
> or having created cyclic mount points).
> Thanks for Your cooperation,
> --
> Peter Dümpert                                   Email: p.duempert AT tu-bs
> DOT de
> Rechenzentrum der Technischen Universität       Fax  : ++49/531/391-5549
> D 38092 Braunschweig                            Tel  : ++49/531/391-5535

Alexander Verkooijen      SARA
Alexander Verkooijen      SARA
Senior Systems Programmer Academic Computing
alexander AT sara DOT nl         Services Amsterdam