ADSM-L

Re: "AFSbackupmntpnt NO" in dsm.sys / dsm.opt

2000-12-15 10:07:20
Subject: Re: "AFSbackupmntpnt NO" in dsm.sys / dsm.opt
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:07:47 -0500
Peter:

We had considered the idea, but decided against it.  The possibility of
loops and/or someone doing something stupid like mounting root.afs was
just too great a risk for us.

We actually create a 'backup tree' before we run backups every night.
This backup tree has mount points for the backup volume (which gets
updated every night)for every volume we want to back up.  The script also
updates the dsm.opt and dsm.sys files to include all of the requisite
virtualmountpoint and domain entries, then restarts "dsmc sched"

The downside to this is the processing necessary to
create this tree each night, and that restores are slightly more complex
because an alternate destination directory has to be specified.

Hope this helps...
Regards,
Brian

| Brian T. Huntley                                Systems Administrator |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-6723/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                  www.clarkson.edu/cis

 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
        PGP Public Key available. finger bth AT clarkson DOT edu