ADSM-L

Re: what to do with bad tapes

2000-11-03 01:17:17
Subject: Re: what to do with bad tapes
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 15:23:49 -0600
Kai Hintze wrote:

> How do I tell ADSM that a tape is bad and should never be used again?
>
> I assume that I check it out, but what status do I give it so that
> ADSM never tries to use it again? Or is there another command entirely
> to destroy a volume?

>From the SoHK (School of Hard Knocks):

1. Change tape status to READONLY.
2. Run MOVE DATA on volume to get as much off the volume as possible.
3. Check volume out of library.
4. Run DEL VOLUME to remove volume from storage pool.

That should do it. Skipping 2 and/or 4 will result in an error message
during space reclamation for *each* file that cannot be reclaimed.[1]

[1] Damn database increased 15 percentage points before I caught on to
this one.

--
Mark Stapleton (stapleto AT berbee DOT com)
Mark Stapleton (stapleto AT berbee DOT com)