ADSM-L

Re: ADSM SP Client Install

2000-11-03 01:06:12
Subject: Re: ADSM SP Client Install
From: Ray Schafer <schafer AT TKG DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 06:06:07 +0000
Daoud Shariff wrote:

> ADSM Guru's:
>
> We are in the process of rebuilding a Wide Node in an 8 WN/2F SP. The SP is
> already an ADSM Client, with one Node being the ADSM Server.  I believe the
> install images are on the ADSM Server, but they do not coincide with the
> 'Installing the Clients' manual.  What would be the best way to rebuild this
> Node?  Should we use the CD's or the ADSM 3.1 Server images?  What images
> should we look for?  Are there preferred directives and preferred Publication
> info that can be shared?  Or will the 'Installing the Clients' manual have to
> suffice? Any otherwise pitfalls, that we have to look out for?

So the node you need to rebuild is an ADSM client?

If you do "splstdata -b" on the control workstation, what image name do you see
for the node to be restored?  This image is the name of the image on the
boot/install server (usually node 1 but not always).  It can be an image
created by mksysb.  If it is, than use that image to restore.  You will have to
set the machine to install.  You can do that in smit or on the command line
(check your SP manual for more details).  It will then set things up (allocate
NIM resources, and configure PSSP) then you can reboot the node.  It should
then restore the image using NIM.  If it is a recent mksysb,
you are almost home - you just have to do an ADSM restoration after you come
up. If it's not a mksysb image or if it's way out of date, then you may have
some more work on your hands.  You may have to install the ADSM client
software, and then do a restore, hopefully you'll come up to a stable state.

Good luck!

--
Ray Schafer       |    schafer AT tkg DOT com     |    http://www.tkg.com
Ray Schafer       |    schafer AT tkg DOT com     |    http://www.tkg.com