ADSM-L

Theoretical Legal Situation

2000-08-04 13:29:00
Subject: Theoretical Legal Situation
From: John Monahan <JohnMonahan AT LIBERTYDIVERSIFIED DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:29:00 -0500
We have been going over our retention policies and came across some legal
concerns.  For this hypothetical situation, imagine a file that has been
deleted from the client and has gone through the expiration process but
still physically remains on one of the offsite tapes because they haven't
yet been through reclamation.  I know that it is well known that you can't
restore data without the database, but the file still physically resides on
the tape, even though it has logically been deleted from the DB.  Is it
technically possible to use some type of data recovery service to pull the
expired files off of the offsite tape?  Could someone please clarify why or
why not this is possible?  Even if you could extract the data, would you
ever be able to read it?

    John Monahan
    Network Administrator
    Liberty Diversified Industries