ADSM-L

Re: Windows NT registry backup failing

2000-05-17 14:57:03
Subject: Re: Windows NT registry backup failing
From: Andy Raibeck <Andrew_Raibeck AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:57:03 -0700
Hi Eric,

In this case, the "265" is a TSM return code that means the registry
backup failed. This message is not mapped correctly in ADSM or TSM
versions prior to 3.7.2, so it was causing the backup to abort
unnecessarily. If your user applies 3.7.2.01, then the backup operation
should not abort. However, it will not address the registry backup
problem. Yes, the ANS4036E is directly related to the RC 265.

Is it possible that your user may be in a TSM policy domain that has
a management class/copy group with a serialization of STATIC? Here is
one possible explanation for the problem that I provided to someone
else a while back:

> Re: The registry backup problem - ADSM uses the Win32 API
> registry backup function, which requires that the backups
> go to files (this is why our backup goes to c:\adsm.sys
> first). Then we back up the c:\adsm.sys directory to get
> the data to the ADSM server.
>
> For reasons that I am not sure of, occasionally during
> that second phase, ADSM is unable to obtain access to one
> of the files in c:\adsm.sys; it gets ACCESS DENIED. I
> suspect that this may happen because the Win32 API said
> that the registry backup was complete, but that some
> background process still has the file(s), i.e. it's a
> timing issue. If your serialization setting allows
> retries, then if the ACCESS DENIED comes up, we will
> retry. Usually second time is the charm. But if your
> serialization does not permit retries (i.e. STATIC),
> then we can not back up the file. ADSM does not consider
> the registry backup successful unless it can back up
> every file in c:\adsm.sys, so if this ACCESS DENIED
> condition occurs and ADSM doesn't retry, the registry
> backup fails.

If this does not address the registry backup problem, then
I would recommend you open a problem record with
IBM/Tivoli support. Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM/Tivoli
e-mail: andrew.raibeck AT tivoli DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Hi *SM-ers!
I have a Windows NT 4.0 server which fails to backup his registry for a few
days now. All files are backed up ok, but the dsmerror.log states:

05/14/2000 21:00:19 ANS1078S *** Unknown system error 265; program ending
***
05/14/2000 21:00:19 ANS4036E An error occured saving the registry key.

05/14/2000 21:29:43 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'DAILY_2100' failed.  Return
code = 4.

Error 265 doesn't seem to be a valid Win32 error code, so I'm stuck!
Anybody seen this before?
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon