ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL Restore Performance

2015-10-04 17:30:27
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL Restore Performance
From: matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM [mailto:matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Richard Smith wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm doing some backup/restore performance testing with TDP for SQL.  I'm
> getting great performance on backups, but not so great on restores.  I was
> wondering what anyone else was seeing.

I am getting 'great' performance for both backups and restores.

You really need to define what you mean by 'great' and 'not so great'.
My analysis is not scientific but it gives a great deal more information
than you did!

A daily 'incremental' transaction log backup using TDP for SQL is as
follows.

18 MB client compressed data.  Takes 2 minutes from start to finish.
There are 4 databases.

The weekly 'full' database backup using TDP for SQL is as follows.

1 GB client compressed data. Takes 10 minutes.

A recent restoration test of a restore from the one full and 4
transaction logs took 25 minutes.

TSM Client hardware, IBM Netfinity 7000M10, 2x500Mhz cpu's (i think) 2
GB ram. (overkill for that particular SQL server IMHO)
TSM Server hardware, SUN Ultra 2, 3570B tape drives. (needs an upgrade
but keeps on runnin...)

All data for the backups goes to 'disk' and not directly to the 3570's.

All restorations were from tape.

Performance is 'great' for both backups and restoration.

--
matthew.glanville AT kodak DOT com
matthew.glanville AT kodak DOT com