ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:30:27
Hi folks,

        I'm seeing a lot problems reported on TSM 3.7.2.0 and I thought I
would throw this one in the mix.  I have the 3.7.2.0 client installed on my
workstation (IBM 365 PC running NT 4.0, service pack 6.0A) for testing.  I
did a scheduled backup using the options file below.  I have also included
the schedule and activity log extracts, the error log, the "show options",
and  the "show inclexcl" output to illustrate my points.

1.      This produced the expected extra sessions for the new resource
option, but the extra sessions didn't terminate until the inactivity timer
popped on the server.

2.      The client backed up extensionless files that should have been
excluded - as best I can see.

3.      The client failed to exclude files that are specifically excluded
(see netuser.dat entry) - I'm not that blind yet.

4.      The backup registry options has been removed from the tool bar and
(apparently) placed under the System Object icon in the Backup/Restore
windows.

5.      The backup seemed to take longer than normal.  I first deleted all
my backup files and started as effectively a new client.  The negotiation
time seemed excessive and some of the client sessions seemed to stay in an
"idle waiting" state for the duration.

6.      There seem to be an unusual number of lost/reconnect session errors
in the log file.

7.      When using the GUI backup window to display file lists, I would see
the prior file list when requesting a new (large) directory file list.  The
window would revert to the prior display list after completion of the new
file list - without displaying the new file list.  When I re-selected the
new one I wanted to see, it would display correctly.

        These are just the "first glance" issues I have noticed on the
backup.  On the restore side I have noticed:

1.      There are now two version of the registry backed up - one for the
machine name (under Registry) and another one for the machine name (under
Registry.sav).

2.  There appeared to be similar problem in the files display flashing back
to a previous display.

        In short, I seem a major problem with the processing of the
include/exclude directives and the file list displays.  These issues make me
wonder, again, about the quality of the TSM vs. IBM products.  I wonder if
we have made a mistake by jumping on the TSM bandwagon so early and I also
wonder more and more about the quality testing of the TSM product.  I know
that the same group that was in ADSM is supposed to be behind the TSM
product, but I don't see the quality that was there - or I'm looking closer
than I used to.

 <<dsm.opt>>  <<Sched-test-log.txt>>     <<Sched-test-actlog.txt>>
<<Show-opt-inc.txt>>  <<dsmerror.log>>

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>