ADSM-L

Re: Checkin libvol swap operand

2000-03-16 10:05:59
Subject: Re: Checkin libvol swap operand
From: Larry Way <Larry.Way AT TRW DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 07:05:59 -0800
You now have confused me ..What happened when you can with swap=yes and
search=yes ?

Larry Way
SL09/100D
408-743-4242  Voice
408-690-2327  Cell
408-743-4201  Fax

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Larry Way wrote:

> You have two choice here...First, you can do a checkout libv and then run the
> checkin libv command.  Second, you can take the 3575 library offlice, open
> side door and physically remove a tape and replace with the tape you want
> checked in.  Then when the library is brought back online it will do its
> inventory and then you must run your checkin libv ...

Actually, we have used swap=yes here successfully.  I am wondering,
though, if the search=bulk is perhaps not allowed with swap=yes.  Try it
this way once:

checkin libvol 3575lib1 volser status=private checkl=barcode swap=yes

Note too, that ADSM will first swap out a scratch tape, and if no scratch
tapes are in the library, then it will swap out the least frequently
mounted tape, which perhaps is not what you want.

Doing it the way Larry says may make more sense, as you can decide what
tapes to remove.  I do it that way here, as I do not want my scratch tapes
being removed.  I usually create a "q vol f=d" macro from q libvol, and
checkout the tapes with the oldest "Approx. Date Last Written:" values.

> Hi all,
>
> I'm struggling with a full 3575 library, and tried to use the swap operand of
> the checkin libvol command to add some required tapes, but I got
>
> adsm> checkin libvol 3575lib1 search=bulk status=private checkl=barcode
> swap=yes
>
> ANR2020E CHECKIN LIBVOLUME: Invalid parameter - SWAP.
> ANS8001I Return code 3.
>
> using the windows admin client v 3.1.0.7
>
> I've never used this operand before.  Is anyone using it successfully? on a
> 3575?
>
> Steve.

> This email message has been swept by MIMESweeper
> at The Wesley Hospital

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)