ADSM-L

Re: restore and audit/move data question

2000-02-14 18:20:29
Subject: Re: restore and audit/move data question
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:20:29 -0500
No, if the primary tape is marked DESTROYED or UNAVAILABLE, the next BACKUP
STGPOOL will not try to mount that primary tape.  I think you just get a
message in the ADSM log noting that the tape can't be backed up.

I assume the RESTORE you say you previewd is a RESTORE VOLUME or RESTORE
STGPOOL?

You can try restoring your user data without doing the RESTORE VOLUME first.
It's possible that the user data you want to restore is not on the tape that
is causing you grief.
If the primary tape is marked DESTROYED, mark all the tapes you brought back
from offsite as "READONLY" instead of offsite.
Then try to restore the user's data again.  ADSM will see that the primary
tape is unavailable, and call for the copy pool tape to do the restore.
If you're lucky, it will be one of the other 25 tapes....

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert