ADSM-L

Tape Library Recommendation

1999-11-30 09:35:26
Subject: Tape Library Recommendation
From: Vern Maxson <vmlist AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 06:35:26 -0800
This recommendation may be distasteful to some, but it
might be the right move for others.  If you have a
limited budget, you might consider used equipment.
Granted, it is older technology, but it can get you
started for a lot less than new equipment.  For
example, we have outgrown our Exabyte-480 and are
planning to sell it in a few weeks.  It has four 8mm
tape drives, 80 slots, and about 2 terrabytes capacity
(which means about 1 terrabyte if you save room for
copy tapes, database backup tapes, empty tapes,
colocation, growth, etc.).  Having four tape drives
has really been nice.  We pay about $3,000/yr in
maintenance for the RS/6000, 40Gb disk, and the
Exabyte 480.  I don't know what the EXB-480 ( $30,000
new, 5 yrs old. ) is worth today ( $5,000? ), but it
might be the right solution for someone.  I use this
only as an example.  Only you can decide what
equipment is right for you.