ADSM-L

Re: ADSM VMS Client

1999-10-24 20:13:37
Subject: Re: ADSM VMS Client
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:13:37 +1000
Hi Ted,

My answers below. To give you some idea of our installation size, we backup or
archive approximately 250 GB/day with the VMS client.

regards,

Trevor

We previously used Tapesys from Software Partners which I understand is the
product on which SLS is based.

> Q2.  Why did you make the switch?

Overall we were reasonably happy with Tapesys, but we made the decision to
implement an enterprise wide backup system.

> Q3.  How would you rate the installation/migration, easy,
> complex, smooth, view
> not worth the climb?

We found it pretty easy. However one of the key reasons for that was that our
applications never called Tapesys directly but instead called in inhouse
written routine which in turn called Tapesys. So it was a relatively simple
matter of changing the middle man to call ABC (the ADSM VMS client). None of
our applications that played by the rules (there are always a few who don't)
needed to chane any of their code when we made the switch.

> Q4.  Knowing what you know today, would you still make the switch?

Without a doubt. That applies not just for the VMS client but for the entire
ADSM solution. Yes, we had had problems with both the ADSM server and the VMS
client. But we've worked through those. The support that we receive from SSSI
for the VMS client has been consistently extremely high.