ADSM-L

Re: Comments on TL891 DLT library

1999-10-14 07:47:18
Subject: Re: Comments on TL891 DLT library
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 06:47:18 -0500
I played with the TL891 for a while. We ended up with the TL895 in the end
but I'll share what I found
It was pretty slow at tape mounts (typically 2.5mins) - especially if you
get the extension frame and a tape has to travel between it and the drives
located in the main jukebox. I'm used to the speed of the 3494 which
typically gets a mount in just over a minute.

Functionality wise it worked pretty good, although I couldn't get the
cleaner cartridge to work properly.
Initially I went under the impression that the library had smarts and would
be able to handle cleaner cartridges, however ADSM saw them as normal tapes
and tried to check them in causing I/O Errors etc...

About that time the ptf for ADSM which allowed it to control cleaning was
released. I tried it that way round but each time that ADSM mounted the
cleaner cartridge, ADSM mounted the cartridge to clean the drive and then
failed to dismount the cartridge. Most likely it was a problem with the ADSM
Server code and there's quite possibly been a ptf to address this behaviour.

Other than that I didn't have any negative experiences with it.

I don't know what sort of capacity you are planning for but even with the
extension frame I think this library has just over a 1 Terabyte of capacity
(that's with max. compression). If you can afford it I would go with the
TL895. It works great, has nearly 4 times the capacity and can support up to
7 tape drives.

Nathan