ADSM-L

Re: Stale NFS handle on LOCAL drive????

1999-05-04 09:26:34
Subject: Re: Stale NFS handle on LOCAL drive????
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 14:26:34 +0100
Hi,

We had this with AIX when backing up HSM filesystems; we had no NFS
mounted partitions.  I experimented with NFSTIMEOUT at 30 second
intervals up to 120 before the timeouts stopped (well it's been over
six weeks so I think it's ok for now).  I have not removed dsmstat.

In dsm.sys put :

  NFSTIMEOUT 120

Here's an extract from my PMR about this  ...

<<<<
  The issues I was referring to are that a stale NFS error can cause the
  client backup to fail instead of skipping the effected filespace, and,
  that the stale NFS error should really be a stale FS error. The APAR
  which contains these issues is IX86323.
  The fix, however, is a bit more complex. The old way clients dealt with
  the Stale NFS handle issue would cause file data to be expired. There
  was a fix which caused ADSM to stop processing to avoid that expiration,
  but now clients fail to complete backups. The planned fix will be to
  skip these filesystems so that the backup can complete. Work is still
  going on in this area and it looks like the fix will be in 3.1.0.7, but
  there is still work that needs to be done to ensure the safety of the
  fix so it may be delayed.
  A workaround is to try and make the NFSTIMEOUT value larger to give the
  filesystem a change to return to the call.

Hope this helps, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275