ADSM-L

Re: Newbie Whinings

1999-04-21 13:15:14
Subject: Re: Newbie Whinings
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:15:14 +0200
Steven,

You wrote:

[...]
>5) Why, when we change a client password, do we have to go to the client
>and start its scheduler once manually with the new password before it will
>run automatically?

[...]

I assume You used the ADMIN client to change that client password; this
informs the server of the password change, but not the client.

I also assume that the consultant that set up Your ADSM configured Your
clients to use PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE; this options (coded in the client's
option file) tells the client to keep track of its password ans store it
encrypted in a special file; whenever the client contacts the server, it
retreives the password from the password file and sends it to the server
(if the password has expired, the client generates a new one and tells the
server to change the password); hence, You only need to provide the client
password the first time, or when You changed the client password at the
server.

HTH - Alfred Novacek

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at