ADSM-L

Newbie Whinings

1999-04-20 16:47:32
Subject: Newbie Whinings
From: Steven Chaba <Steven_Chaba AT RGE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:47:32 -0400
I'm an old systems guy, but relatively new to UNIX/AIX and very new to
ADSM. Am currently receiving a high-density brain dump in ADSM support from
a co-worker who is retiring at the end of May (who herself never had any
formal ADSM training, due to the fact she was about to retire!)

I'm scheduled for the SS50A class in mid-May, so am cramming as much
material as I can locate between now and then. I've got the "ADSM Concepts"
redbook, as well as the still-in-progress "Getting Started With ADSM:  A
Practical Implementation Guide" from the Web, plus the admin and reference
manuals.

We're running ADSM server 3.1.1.5 on AIX, with AIX, WinNT and OS/2 clients,
set up by a consultant who came, installed, and disappeared last fall. So,
a few zillion questions, in no particular priority order:

1) Is SS50A the first ADSM training class? What prerequisites
(coursework/practical knowledge) does one need to make the course useful?

2) Why do we have to enter our userID and password twice to access the GUI
admin interface?

3) Why can't my NT people restore files to their home directories? Even
their admins, with all privileges, to their own personal home directories?

4) Is there a manual, Web page or other source that gives a coherent
explanation of the various password schemes, including expiration, storage,
usage, management and manipulation used by ADSM?

5) Why, when we change a client password, do we have to go to the client
and start its scheduler once manually with the new password before it will
run automatically?

I could go on, but that should be enough to get me booted off the list for
excessive stupidity.

Steven Chaba
Lead Analyst, Distributed Systems Technical Support
Rochester Gas & Electric Corporation
Rochester, NY USA
Voice: 716.771.2137
Fax: 716.724.8227