ADSM-L

Re: meaning of Database - Properties

1999-04-14 12:16:37
Subject: Re: meaning of Database - Properties
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:16:37 -0400
This is not quite true on the reduction side.  In my database, I see the
following response to QUERY DB:

Available Assigned   Maximum   Maximum    Page     Total      Used   Pct  Max.
    Space Capacity Extension Reduction    Size    Usable     Pages  Util   Pct
     (MB)     (MB)      (MB)      (MB) (bytes)     Pages                  Util
--------- -------- --------- --------- ------- --------- --------- ----- -----
    3,392    3,132       260         4   4,096   801,792   267,744  33.4  37.5
    3,392    3,132       260         4   4,096   801,792   267,744  33.4  37.5

Clearly, many more MB are unused in the DB than I can reduce it.  I conclude
that there must be many holes in the DB that prevent any further reduction.

However, I'd like to remove one (out of four) of the volumes from the DB,
since
I'm only using a third of the space in there.  How can I do this?  Will DELETE
DBVOLUME cause the DB to move records out of the volume-to-be-deleted, or will
it simply refuse to act?

Thanks,
Rich

At 09:38 AM 4/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>When you assign volumes to the database, you have to extend the database to
>include the additional space.  If you don't, or don't extend the database to
>include *all* the available space, then the Maximum extension (meaning the
>maximum amount of available space that you can  extend the database by) will
>be whatever is left.  Simply put - you've still go that much space left on
>your volumes that can be added to the database.
>
>Maximum reduction is the amount of database space that you're not actually
>using at the moment.
>
>You can give it the maximum extension, but ADSM won't do that for you.  You
>have to use the command "extend db xx" where xx is the amount you want to
>extend by. This should be increments of 4.
>
>I hope that helps.  When I try to write answers like this I get a real
>appreciation for how hard it must be to write the ADSM documentation (about
>as hard as it is to read sometimes).
>

>ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu on 04/14/99 08:47:43 AM
>Please respond to ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu @ INTERNET
>To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu @ INTERNET
>cc:
>Subject: meaning of Database - Properties
>
>Hi,
>
>can someone explain what the points Maximum exention and Maximum reduction
>of the Database mean?
>
>Is ist possible to give ADSM the Maximum extention space to the assigned
>capacity? Or does ADSM this by
>itselves?
>
>(maybe i should read the man pages again  :-)  )
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Roland Bender
>A IV ITBI JDS AV2
>Germany

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203