ADSM-L

Re: Don't want to backup remote filesystems

1999-04-08 21:04:11
Subject: Re: Don't want to backup remote filesystems
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:04:11 -0600
You can try using client option sets to put in place something.

You can put in excludes.  Include/exclude lines are additive, but I'm not sure
of
the effective order.  Hopefully include/exclude statements from the client
option
set go 'below' the ones on the client and thus override.  I recall Rejean
Larivee
posting what order they are applied, I think.  Unfortunately the grad student
could
always NFS mount under a different mount point and subvert this.

Domain statements may be how he will have this stuff backed up, but they only
affect incremental backups that don't specify filesystems explicitly, thus
anthing
you do with domain statements could get ignored by the student doing things like
'dsmc i /nfsmnt/systemX/data'.

There are all sorts of things he can do to subvert your control.

Conversely, you could do things like schedule the restore of a script that
you've
built on another system then schedule the running of that script; in other
words,
as long as he runs the scheduler you can get root on his system.

Essentially, if it is a pissing war between a client owner who understands ADSM
and
has root on his machine and an ADSM administrator who wants to control things,
then
everyone is going to lose.

Cheers...
Bruce

Eliza Lau wrote:

> Hi ADSMers,
>
> Is there a way to block the backup of NFS mounted filesystems?  We have a
> user who is thinking of sneaking in GB of data through NFS mounting
> the filesystems on all the machines in his lab onto one client that we
> are backing up for him.  The graduate student who works for this guy asked
> me how to set it up in dsm.opt.  I want to block this before he figures it
> out.
>
> client - Digital Unix
> server - AIX running adsm server 3.1.2.13
>
> Thanks in advance

>  Eliza Lau
>  Virginia Tech Computing Center                email : eliza.lau AT vt DOT edu
>  Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
>  1700 Pratt Drive
>  Blacksburg VA 24060                           phone : (540) 231-9399

Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.
Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.
mailto:belrick AT home DOT com
http://members.home.net/belrick/