ADSM-L

Re: Don't want to backup remote filesystems

1999-04-09 13:01:41
Subject: Re: Don't want to backup remote filesystems
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:01:41 -0400
Any information system is set up in the context of the policies and procedures
that people follow.  It seems to me that Eliza needs a policy to specify terms
and conditions for back up of a client computer.  If the client subverts that
policy, and doesn't mend his ways when asked, she has the grounds to shut off
the service to said client.  She can monitor his compliance with QUERY
OCCUPANCY
and QUERY CONTENTS, for example.

This is not a case where technology can help you.

Rich

At 07:04 PM 4/8/99 -0600, Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM> wrote:
[...]
>Essentially, if it is a pissing war between a client owner who understands
ADSM and
>has root on his machine and an ADSM administrator who wants to control
things, then
>everyone is going to lose.
>
>Cheers...
>Bruce
>
>Eliza Lau wrote:
>
>> Hi ADSMers,
>>
>> Is there a way to block the backup of NFS mounted filesystems?  We have a
>> user who is thinking of sneaking in GB of data through NFS mounting
>> the filesystems on all the machines in his lab onto one client that we
>> are backing up for him.  The graduate student who works for this guy asked
>> me how to set it up in dsm.opt.  I want to block this before he figures
it out.

>> client - Digital Unix
>> server - AIX running adsm server 3.1.2.13
>>
>> Thanks in advance

>>  Eliza Lau
>>  Eliza Lau
>>  Virginia Tech Computing Center                email : eliza.lau AT vt DOT
>> edu
>>  Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
>>  1700 Pratt Drive
>>  Blacksburg VA 24060                           phone : (540) 231-9399

>--
>Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.
>mailto:belrick AT home DOT com
>http://members.home.net/belrick/

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203