ADSM-L

Re: Performance of ADSM Solaris Clien

1999-04-07 04:37:16
Subject: Re: Performance of ADSM Solaris Clien
From: Werner Nussbaumer <werner.nussbaumer AT UBS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:37:16 +0200
Hello Stephen

Thanks very much for your information. Is this the experience you have with NFS
version 3 too?

Thanks
Regards
Werner Nussbaumer

Subject: UNAUTHENTICATED: Re: Performance of ADSM Solaris Client vi
Author:  stephenp (stephenp AT PRTH.GEOBANK.PGS DOT COM)
Date:    06.04.1999 03:11

Hi Werner,

We run an IBM R40 4CPU AIX Box with a fair amount of disk pool space ..... aroun
d 300 Gb divided up according to need to the various groups we back up.

From what I understand about ADSM there are many variables to this. For example
the number of files to be backed up. Many smaller files slow ADSM down. Also the
 backup media type and how many drives. How you have your disk storage pools set
 up etc. Migration levels and all that sort of stuff. And not to forget the numb
er of sessions being run at the same time.

Ideally you should aim high. Our server backs one client at more than 10 MB/sec.
 There are normally only 2 or 2 files in that 2 Gb Backup so it really flies.

Others run much slower than this, in one case one (Solaris client takes 2 - 3 ho
urs to backup 2-3 Gb but there are millions of small and large files to look at
and inspect. It nearly always acheives a network transfer speed of around 4-8MB/
sec over 100BT (depends on traffic) with an aggregate speed of around 800KB/sec.
 Even having a huge disk pool for this server hasn't speed it up.

Clearly then the problem is not at the server end, but the client end....

I'm sure the  ADSM guru's here will have much better advice. I am a relative new
bie. I appreciate thoughts as well.

Regards

Stephen R Pole
Operations Manager
Petroleum Geo-Services Data Management Australia
Level 4, IBM Centre
1060 Hay Street
West Perth WA 6005
Australia
Phone          +61 8 9320 9080
Direct           +61 8 9320 9081
Fax               +61 8 9320 9090
Mobile           +61 41 239 4435  (041 239 4435)
e-mail            stephenp AT prth.geobank.pgs DOT com

message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and
notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet
email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions,
conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given
or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an
authorized representative independent of this message.