ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and big file-servers

1999-03-16 09:40:09
Subject: Re: ADSM and big file-servers
From: McAllister Craig-WCM033 <Craig_McAllister AT EUROPE36.MOT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:40:09 -0000
All,
        I feel I should provide a contrary opinion on this one. I too have
big NT servers (3 at 105Gb each), and I've had very few problems with
backing them up - or restoring from them. This may be because the files I
have tend to be larger, and therefore there are fewer of them (we have one
really busy server with 83Gb made up of 600,000 files). Our network is FDDI
100Mbps. I believe the problem is more with number of files rather than the
size of the individual files. Maybe ADSM develpoment could take this and
work out some way of traversing the driectory structure under NT in a more
efficient way. Then again, maybe not. (Hands tied by Microsoft's poor
programming...)

        -Craig.