ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and big file-servers

1999-03-12 12:09:44
Subject: Re: ADSM and big file-servers
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:09:44 -0800
On our large data servers, we have started running a weekend backup
using NTBACKUP and local tape drives. The idea is that if we lose
the server. We start a full restore with the NTBACKUP, and while it
is running, we can use ADSM to quickly restore the files that are
needed immediately to a temporary server.
Once the NTBACKUP restore is completed, we will use ADSM to bring the
server up to date.

We requested our hardware people to use multiple arrays of small drives
instead of Their current arrays built out of 4 18.2GB drives, but they
believe that raid5 will never fail. I guess that we're exempt from fire,
and earthquake, and of course, it's impossible that more thatn one drive
could fail at the same time.