ADSM-L

Re: Windows NT server and multiple network adapters

1999-01-22 11:24:31
Subject: Re: Windows NT server and multiple network adapters
From: "Ross, Mitch" <mross AT PSD.COMPUCOM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:24:31 -0500
We're using multiple NIC's on NT here.  In our case we've got one card going
to a production network, and a second card for a "backup network" to be used
only by ADSM.

Yes, NT has problems with multiple cards. One particular problem we had was
with WINS- sometimes it would resolve to the wrong card, making it
unreachable be some clients.  The fix for that was to enable WINS on only on
the production network.

From ADSM's point of view, we set up the clients to use IP addresses that
are used by the backup network (10.0.x.x).  The server replies to the
clients using whatever network the client started using.  We never give ADSM
a machine name to resolve, therefore it never uses the main network.

We have had occasion to run backups on both cards at the same time. It runs
fine.  The only thing I'd recommend is using straight IP addresses and avoid
name resolution.

Mitchell Ross                           mailto:mitch.ross AT ncgroup DOT com
CompuCom Systems, Inc.          http://www.ncgroup.com
The Source for Technology Deployment Processes and Standards