ADSM-L

Re: Any recommendations for tape drive/library:NT small environment

1999-01-08 16:42:01
Subject: Re: Any recommendations for tape drive/library:NT small environment
From: Alan White <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:42:01 -0000
Hi,

Just looking at the same thing for our smaller sites. We have used Sony AIT
in EMASS (now ADIC) libraries for larger sites. AIT was chosen for its high
capacity and fast load times (DLT has good capacity but is really slow to
get online and offline, 3570 is great for load times but doesn't hold very
much data). It throughput is better than 3570 and equal to DLT7000 (from
ADSM).

We have tested the single drive AIT 4-cartridge autoloader with ADSM on NT
and it worked well. Very small sites doing just local ( as opposed to
network ) backup with no offsite copy requirement (i.e. they take a full
backup every night and send those tapes off every day) it worked a treat.
Total storage in one cartridge magazine is approx 260GB - probably large
enough for your need however the single drive would be a restriction if you
need to do stg pool copies. Price is really good.

I now need to address sites with a profile like yours (except need to keep
32 days worth of versions plus archives). IMHO the best solution to fully
exploit ADSM would be a library which has 2 drives and 10 to 12 slots giving
(with AIT 230M tapes) approx 1TB storage. The ADIC unit looks good (rack
mountable etc) and testing will commence soon here. I am interested in
hearing from anybody else using AIT on NT with other vendors small libraries
and can share our test results if its of interest.

Alan