ADSM-L

3590 Tape Volume

1998-12-07 14:09:36
Subject: 3590 Tape Volume
From: Robert Bunt <rmbunt AT NYSEG DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:09:36 -0500
     During a recent problem with one of the 3590 drives in our 3494
library, the tape leader block (and about 10 inches of tape) was snapped
from the volume.

     We are currently in the process of re-attaching the leader
block to the tape.  Once repaired, I hope to be able to audit the errant
volume
and reconcile the information with the database.  If the tape is not able
to be read
(missing label, etc.), is there someplace that the tape could be sent to
manually
repair the volume with minor loss to the remainder of the volume?

     For future reference, is there some way to manually intervene ( fix )
a tape so that I would not have to send the tape elsewhere?  The 3494 is
attached to
a RS/6000 running AIX 4.2.1 and ADSM 3.1.

                                   Robert Bunt
                                   rmbunt AT nyseg DOT com