ADSM-L

Re: NT ADSM Client Loop

1998-11-24 11:49:44
Subject: Re: NT ADSM Client Loop
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:49:44 EST
In article <9811109107.AA910716315 AT ccmail.adp.wisc DOT edu>, Eric LEWIS
<eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU> says:

>     Hi:  We are having problems with the infinite loop that afflicts the
>     win32 ver 3.1.0.5 client.  The problem, as you can see below, is
>     related to incorrect passwords AND unregistered nodes.
>
>     I recall a problem with the .3 client, was there a problem with
>     failure to trim schedule logs?
>
>     Can anyone suggest a ptf release that is reliable?  (And how to get
>     it?  I do still have a copy of the 3.1.0.3 client install set.)
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     Eric Lewis UW-Madison
>     eric.lewis AT doit.wisc DOT edu

The problem with the adsm win32 scheduler client looping on a
connection to the adsm server is fixed by ic22093.

IC22093: Scheduler service loops when a password is missing or *
*                      invalid, fills up server activity log

This fix and 8 others were fixed in the second release of
v3.1.0.5 PTF IP21371 and is available via ftp from the
IBM ftp server at index.storsys.ibm.com  in the fixtest directory.

I found that when we first found this problem the dmscutil
routine did not seemed to fix the badly set password. But running
the dsmc.exe program and issuing a command to the adsm server
did update the password correctly.

I do hope IBM keeps releasing the fix tests early. I do not think
that there is any way that they can find all the problems in their
tests without help from the field. There are just too many possible
hardware/software/config combinations for them to test them all.

The next fix test that we need is the fix that gets rid of all the
outstanding memory leak problems (This may be only the novell client
that was reported here or it may be an across the board problem).

So I am looking forward to a beta test client on storsys in the next
month for the client code that is planned for jan 1999. Not for
production, but for evaluation to include some production test.
As I belive that Microsoft is doing with windows nt 5.

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513