ADSM-L

Re: ARCHIVE Storage - how do you handle OS upgrades?

1998-11-06 15:13:24
Subject: Re: ARCHIVE Storage - how do you handle OS upgrades?
From: Mike Berkley <Mike.Berkley AT EC.GC DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 12:13:24 -0800
> "AN" writes:

AN> Mike - You didn't give details on how you were invoking the Retrieve,
AN>        but it sounds like it involved -FROMOwner.  I wonder if you
AN>        could do it from root, via -Nodename, as another test of
AN>        what's going on. ...

Thanks for the tip.  It didn't help, but it did push me towards some
insight.

I was running dsm (gui version) as root, then changing user/machine to
root on the AIX 4.1.5 server using a drop-down menu.  When I go to
retrieve something, I can see the archive descriptions but not the
files.

However, when I use dsmc, I CAN retrieve files from the 4.1.5 machine
onto the 4.3 machine.  It looks like a problem (or somehow my misuse)
of the dsm GUI, not adsm itself.

If this is the case, then I am relieved that our data won't be lost,
but disappointed that the retrieve process is too complicated to foist
off onto regular users.