ADSM-L

ARCHIVE Storage - how do you handle OS upgrades?

1998-11-06 12:13:53
Subject: ARCHIVE Storage - how do you handle OS upgrades?
From: Mike Berkley <Mike.Berkley AT EC.GC DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 09:13:53 -0800
We're just about to embark on some equipment and OS upgrades.  Some of
our older servers running AIX 4.1.5 will be replaced with new servers
running AIX 4.3.2.  One concern is how to access archive storage after
the servers are replaced.

I did a few quick tests, and found that even when all of the user
access lists were set correctly, I could not retrieve archives created
on an AIX 4.1.5 machine to an AIX 4.3 machine.  I can retrieve
archives onto another AIX 4.1.5 machine.  All machines are running the
latest level of ADSM client.

How do others handle this?  We would like to treat our ADSM archives
as long-term storage (e.g. climate model run archival), but it appears
as if we would lose all of our archives every time we did an upgrade.

Do we have to go back to tar?

Mike Berkley
Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis
Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis
Atmospheric Environment Service
University of Victoria
P.O. Box 1700
Victoria, BC  V8W 2Y2
CANADA

Phone: (250)363-8234  Fax: (250)363-8247  e-mail: Mike.Berkley AT ec.gc DOT ca