ADSM-L

Re: FULL BACKUPS?

1998-08-18 16:49:58
Subject: Re: FULL BACKUPS?
From: Peter Gathercole <peter.gathercole AT VIRGIN DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:49:58 +0100
If you want to prevent ADSM from using some tapes, just assign then a status of
Private
with

update libvolume libname volname status=private

ADSM will not now use this volume. You will have to keep track of what you have
written to these tapes yourselves.

On the point of archives, what you need to do is to create a new storage pool,
copygroup and management class, and then when you do am archive specify use the
ARCHMC flag on the archive. So for instance, if the management class is called
oneoff_mc, the command could be

dsmc archive archmc=oneoff_mc / /usr ....

This will make a full archive of all of the filesystems listed into the
management class oneoff_mc. If you are doing this, then the copygroup must be
of type archive. Is is possible to point the copygroup to your primary storage
pool. The fact that it is backed up to a different management class and
copygroup means that the backup will be fenced from any archives/backups to
your default management class. This will effectivly secure the archive. It is
possible to use this management class for multiple archives, provided that you
have the retention set on the copygroup to keep the number of archive copies to
what you require.

Peter Gathercole
Open System Consultant