ADSM-L

One more time: admin schedules?

1998-07-30 16:39:26
Subject: One more time: admin schedules?
From: Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:39:26 -0400
As far as I can tell from reading the archives, the "best"
answer for "how do I run a bunch of server commands which want to be
sequaential" is to go completely outside ADSM and run a cron job that
starts at a designated time and uses the -wait option on the commands.
For example:
 a file called "05am_tasks" containing

        dsmadmc -id yyy -pa=xxx  expire inventory wait=yes
        dsmadmc -id yyy -pa=xxx  backup stg backuppool copypool wait=yes
        dsmadmc -id yyy -pa=xxx  backup stg autodlt_pool copypool wait=yes
        dsmadmc -id yyy -pa=xxx  backup db

 can't be scheduled as
    def sch 05am_tasks t=a cmd="05am_tasks" startt=05:00
 as would be intuitive; in order for things to work as expected, one would
have to run 05am_tasks as a cron job.

Am I missing something here?  This seems *really* inelegant, and DRM
probably won't catch the cron job...

It's been suggested that this might be doable as a client schedule via
the "objects" argument, but that feels like a hack, and client schedules
are bound to a domain (though what effect that would have on this case is
unclear to me).

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Pat Wilson