ADSM-L

Re: Make your own barcode labels?

1998-06-04 22:38:52
Subject: Re: Make your own barcode labels?
From: John Valdes <j-valdes AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 21:38:52 -0500
Pat Wilson writes:

> Does anyone have a program to make your own barcode labels?

Yes.  I wrote a little PostScript program for generating barcode
labels for 3590 tape cartridges to use in our 3494 tape library.  It
generates code 39 barcode with OCR text, using to 2 freeware
postscript fonts.  The labels it creates are designed to be attached
to the "spine" of the tape cartridge; it doesn't generate labels for
the face of the tape.  I couldn't find precut labels which fit well on
the cartridge, so instead, I print the labels on a sheet of uncut
label stock (eg, Avery 5265), and cut out the labels with a razor and
straight edge.  This can be a little tedious, but I think the results
are worth it.

If you're interested in the program (you didn't mention what type of
tape cartridges you need to label), email me, and I'll send you a
copy.

John

John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
j-valdes AT uchicago DOT edu                               University of Chicago