ADSM-L

Re: Reclaim of Offsite Volumes

1998-03-27 07:45:30
Subject: Re: Reclaim of Offsite Volumes
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 07:45:30 -0500
On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Cohn, Grant wrote:
> Can anyone explain why, when an offsite volume (checked out and marked
> as being offsite, and in the vault!) reaches its reclaim threshold and
> is reclaimed, various other checked in primary and copy storage pool
> volumes are mounted and used in the reclaim of this offsite volume?

Since all of the good data also exists on onsite primary volumes, ADSM
uses those to do the reclaimation of the offsite volume, rather than
having you bring the volume back onsite.  At the end of the process, the
vaulted offsite volume should be returned to scratch status, and then
reused after the reusedealy expires for the copy storage pool.  This delay
should be long enough for you to recall the tape from the offsite
location, and check it backin.  The output volume can then go offsite.

I'm sure if I got it wrong, someone will correct me, and maybe even add in
more details.  I am not to the point yet of reclaiming offsite volumes, so
the above is my understanding on how things are supposed to function.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,