ADSM-L

Re: Reclaim of Offsite Volumes

1998-03-27 08:54:04
Subject: Re: Reclaim of Offsite Volumes
From: Sean Garvey <sgarvey AT PHAEDO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:54:04 -0500
On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Steven P Roder wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Steven P Roder wrote:

> Since all of the good data also exists on onsite primary volumes, ADSM
> uses those to do the reclaimation of the offsite volume, rather than
> having you bring the volume back onsite.  At the end of the process, the
> vaulted offsite volume should be returned to scratch status, and then
> reused after the reusedealy expires for the copy storage pool.  This delay
> should be long enough for you to recall the tape from the offsite
> location, and check it backin.  The output volume can then go offsite.

Almost. :)  My understanding is that the reuse delay should correspond to
you DBBACKUP RETENTION setting.  This is so if for some reason
you had a need to go all the way back to your oldest DB backup, the data
it pointewd to on those "reclaimed" volumes would still be there.  Also,
the reclamation is done using primary storage pools as the input volumes
and current copy stg pool tapes as the output volumes to ensure that at
least one good, safe copy of the data is off-site at all times.  So the
current copy sttg pool is sent off-site, and THEN the newly reclaimed
volume is earmarked VAULTRETRIEVE.  Of course, it won't be reused until
the reuse delay setting is exceeded.

Sean

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o
o                                                                          0
0  Sean P. Garvey, Systems Engineer             phone: (540) 370-4184      o
o  Phaedo Consulting, Inc.                                                 0
0  www.phaedo.com                               email:  sgarvey AT phaedo DOT
com o
o                                                                          0
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o