ADSM-L

Re: FW: ADSM and UNIX filesystems

1998-01-28 16:30:17
Subject: Re: FW: ADSM and UNIX filesystems
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:30:17 +0100
>I forwarded this previously, and got no response.  I've changed the
>question around some in the hopes of getting some type of response????
>
>[Sanders, David]  A backup is taken of files that are in the
>"/dir1/dir2" filespace.  The files are moved from that to the "/dir1"
>filespace.  ADSM never forgets unless you tell it to ... which means
>that the "/dir1/dir2" filespace is still present in its archives.
>Someone deletes "/dir1/dir2/file2" and needs to have it restored.  I go
>into the dsm interface and do a Restore by Filename and enter
>"/dir1/dir2/file2."  ADSM comes back and shows me the ACTIVE file, which
>is the LAST version which existed prior to the deletion of the
>"/dir1/dir2" filesystem!  In order to get at the current version of this
>file, I have to specify "/dir1/*" and "List all subdirectories," then
>sort through the potentially enormous output to find the file I need.
>
>WHAT ADSM SHOULD DO:
>
>Ideally, ADSM will recognize during a backup that a filesystem has been
>deleted, and will initiate a background administrative task on the ADSM
>server that will move all file definitions from that filespace into the
>next "higher" filespace, and delete the definition for the defunct
>filespace.
>
>As a workaround, there should at least be an administrative option that
>will allow us to manually indicate that a filespace should be deleted
>and all of its file definitions moved into another specified filespace.
>
>Comments, please???  Or is there something that we are missing??
>Thanks.

David,

I am not using ADSM on a UNIX platform, so, if I am wrong, sombody, I hope,
will correct me.

As far as I remember, ADSM solves Your problem the other way: UNIX
implementations provide an option VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT for the DSM.SYS (or
DSM.OPT ???) file, which tells ADSM to treat all files below a directory
specified as if they belonged to a different file space. When You merge two
volumes by moving the contents of one volume to the directory which was its
mount point, You may use the option to tell ADSM to logically maintain the
original partition of file spaces.

As far as I know, there is no way in ADSM to move a file in ADSM backup
storage pool to a different file space.

Sincerely Yours - Alfred Novacek

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at