ADSM-L

FW: ADSM and UNIX filesystems

1998-01-27 09:14:53
Subject: FW: ADSM and UNIX filesystems
From: "Sanders, David" <DSanders AT INTERNAL.MASSMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:14:53 -0500
I forwarded this previously, and got no response.  I've changed the
question around some in the hopes of getting some type of response????

[Sanders, David]  A backup is taken of files that are in the
"/dir1/dir2" filespace.  The files are moved from that to the "/dir1"
filespace.  ADSM never forgets unless you tell it to ... which means
that the "/dir1/dir2" filespace is still present in its archives.
Someone deletes "/dir1/dir2/file2" and needs to have it restored.  I go
into the dsm interface and do a Restore by Filename and enter
"/dir1/dir2/file2."  ADSM comes back and shows me the ACTIVE file, which
is the LAST version which existed prior to the deletion of the
"/dir1/dir2" filesystem!  In order to get at the current version of this
file, I have to specify "/dir1/*" and "List all subdirectories," then
sort through the potentially enormous output to find the file I need.

WHAT ADSM SHOULD DO:

Ideally, ADSM will recognize during a backup that a filesystem has been
deleted, and will initiate a background administrative task on the ADSM
server that will move all file definitions from that filespace into the
next "higher" filespace, and delete the definition for the defunct
filespace.

As a workaround, there should at least be an administrative option that
will allow us to manually indicate that a filespace should be deleted
and all of its file definitions moved into another specified filespace.

Comments, please???  Or is there something that we are missing??
Thanks.