ADSM-L

Re: backup db

1997-11-21 05:49:23
Subject: Re: backup db
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:49:23 GMT
Replying to: Bo Ossinger <ossinger AT WSU DOT EDU> (Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:37:36
-0800)
>At 07:29 AM 11/19/97 -0600, Scott Temonia wrote:
>At 07:29 AM 11/19/97 -0600, Scott Temonia wrote:
>>You can't stack database backups on a tape.  Once you use a tape for a
>>database backup then that tape can't be used for another DB backup.
>
>We are just setting up a new server, and had the same question.  Does this
>apply to incrementals too -- I can't put one full and a series of
>incrementals on the same tape?

You can't.

But it would be nice if we could, though. It makes sense to have each full
backup on separate media, but incrementals could be stacked on the same
media. Something like: full + inc + inc + ... on the same tape would
decrease the number of mounts needed for a database restore. It's not that
it's *really* usefull but it would be a nice function.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,