ADSM-L

Re: NO SUBJECT

1997-10-22 14:21:59
Subject: Re: NO SUBJECT
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 13:21:59 -0500
Betsy,

 Based upon this latest note it appears as if the problem is almost
certainly permissions related.

If you would not mind, lets focus on the d: drive and d:\adsm subdirectory
you are getting errors on.
If appropriate, can you share with us the permissions on the root directory
and also on the d:\adsm subdirectory.  If there is any NO ACCESS
permission, then this may be a problem.  A NO ACCESS for any group an ID is
a member of will override any other permission on a resource.

Please post this information, if you are able.  Also, can you include the
NT version and the ADSM client version?

The fact that your folks are removing EVERYONE from the root directory set
off a lot of bells in my head.  I have seen several problems that were
caused by doing this.  These are usually related to NT logon or spooling
tasks, however,  and you are not having problems with C: (I am assuming
that c: is the system drive)
Still, if anyone else has a reason to not mess with the permissions on the
root directory, perhaps they will share that data.

I think we can help you keep this portion of your customer base.

Dan T.
----------
> From: Moir,Elizabeth <Betsy.Moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
> From: Moir,Elizabeth <Betsy.Moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: NO SUBJECT
> Date: Wednesday, October 22, 1997 10:34 AM
>
> To: OAS     --LMS1
>
> FROM: Betsy Moir (TTCEDM) Ext 85020
>       VM Tech Services
>       email:  betsy.moir AT abbott DOT com
>
> This is the latest frantic note from my would-be ADSM backup client from
> last night.  Does anything here bring any "aha's" to mind.  The author is
> in the process of testing out suggestions you've all so kindly sent on
> this listserv.  I hope something works.  I sure would like to keep them
> (or get them) as customers.
>
> Fixed or not, thanks to you all for your help with this.
>
>             ******** Client Message *****************
>
> Last night we added the user ADSMTEST to the service.  We then took this
> account (ADSMTEST), made sure it was in the group Backup Operators, and
then
> gave the account permissions (full control) to each drive.
> The backup went through each drive, but we are getting these types of
> messages.  For each drive d:\, f:\ and g:\ we got these messages.
> 9:08:49 Incremental backup of drive 'D:' with label 'NTUSR1'
> 10/21/1997 19:08:57 Directory-->                 0 D:\adsm  **
Unsuccessful **
> 10/21/1997 19:08:58 ANS4228E Sending of object 'D:\adsm' failed
> 10/21/1997 19:08:58 ANS4090E Access to the specified file or directory is
> denied
> 10/21/1997 19:08:58 Directory-->                 0 D:\LOTSUITE  **
> Unsuccessful **
> 10/21/1997 19:08:58 ANS4228E Sending of object 'D:\LOTSUITE' failed
> 10/21/1997 19:08:58 ANS4090E Access to the specified file or directory is
> denied
> 10/21/1997 19:08:58 Directory-->                 0 D:\lotus  **
Unsuccessful