ADSM-L

Re: excluding dir names with dots in them

1997-09-24 10:40:04
Subject: Re: excluding dir names with dots in them
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT EXCH1.INDY.TCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:40:04 -0500
I disagree with your comment below, Andy:

> EXCLUDE /.../root.b/.../*
>    This will cause any file in any directory called /root.b (and its
> subdirectories) *in the root file system* to be excluded.
>
> It is important to note that the file system name must be coded as
> part of the
> INCLUDE or EXCLUDE statement. Thus all of these examples pertain to
> the / (root)
> file system only (assuming that, as has been stated, root.b is a
> directory and
> not a file system). For example, if I want to exclude all files called
> MYFILE.TXT
> in the / and /home file systems, I will need *two* EXCLUDE statements:
>
> EXCLUDE /.../MYFILE.TXT
> EXCLUDE /HOME/.../MYFILE.TXT

I understand it to mean all directories within the domain(s) for the
backup.  I've also seen it work this way too.  I added this line to my
include/exclude file:
        EXCLUDE /.../*.tina
Then I added files /root.tina, /usr/usr.tina, and /home/home.tina (all
different file systems).  I did selective backups on all 3 files (dsmc s
/root.tina /usr/usr.tina /home/home.tina) and none were backed up
because of the exclude.

        ANS4119W File '/root.tina' excluded by Include/Exclude list
        Selective Backup processing of '/root.tina' finished with 0
failures.

        ANS4119W File '/usr/usr.tina' excluded by Include/Exclude list
        Selective Backup processing of '/usr/usr.tina' finished with 0
failures.

        ANS4119W File '/home/home.tina' excluded by Include/Exclude list
        Selective Backup processing of '/home/home.tina' finished with 0
failures.

Tina Hilton
Thomson Consumer Electronics