ADSM-L

Backup time differences

2015-10-04 18:08:06
Subject: Backup time differences
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 5/6/97 7:51PM
Whenever you look at performance, you have to look at the entire picture first.
And certainly, the smaller file size will slow down a server - it is more
efficient to do a few large files than lots of small ones.

Can we assume that the network configuration is similar on both machines?  What
about NetWare Server configurations?

What is the total number of objects being inspected on each server?  My guess
would be that Server A has significantly more items to poke through to find the
ones to back up.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    5/6/97 7:51 PM

I've just been looking at backup results from 2 Netware 4.x servers from
last night.  They are both backing up the same amount of data, but the
elapsed time difference is huge.  Would server A be slower because the
average file size is smaller and therefore more overhead on the ADSM
database?

Server A :
9317 objects backed up
1434 MB