ADSM-L

Re: (U) ADSM I/O error ANR8311E

1997-04-23 13:50:40
Subject: Re: (U) ADSM I/O error ANR8311E
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:50:40 -0700
Jeremy,
I get this very infrequently on our 3490Es and although the ADSM message &
the AIX errlog point to the drive as the problem, I know it's not true
since ADSM continues to use the drive in question without any other
problems. Therefore, I have simply treated this as a bad tape situation and
moved the data out of the volume. Also, I'm pretty certain it's not a
end-of-tape situation because the response from a 'q vol ...' shows the
volume as filling & less than 100% util.

At 12:50 PM 4/23/97 EDT, you wrote:
>We are running ADSM v2r1 on AIX 4.1.3 with IBM 3490E tape drives.
>
>Often, we get the above error during a nightly backup, upon which ADSM
>sets the affected volume to readonly (ANR1411E) and moves to the next vol
>in
>the storagepool (ANR1411W). Although the error is reflected as a TAPE_ERR
>in the AIX errlog, we are pretty sure it is NOT a genuine hardware
>problem - we have changed every hardware component and microcode level.
>
>Our current suspicion is that another signal (possibly EndOfTape?) is
>being misinterpreted and producing this error.
>
>Does anyone have any experience of this sort of problem?
>
>Thanks,

>Jeremy Worrell, IBM UK Ltd.                            x.664884
>Beauchamp Sophisticate                        ext. 01926 464884

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.